MY EXHIBITION - COLOUR ME PURPLE AND QUAKER - WILL BE AT THE HISTORIC MARAZION QUAKER MEETING HOUSE - MONDAY 4 SEPTEMBER TO SATURDAY 9 SEPTEMBER

 I was disappointed when the Crypt Gallery explained that it would not be possible to exhibit there in November as I had planned. They are expanding their membership and members take priority for exhibitions. I could of course apply for membership but I would hate to be rejected on the grounds that I was only a textile artist! 

We spent a week exploring other possible venues and then some Quaker friends suggested the recently refurbished Marazion meeting house. If it were possible, that promised to be a very exciting development. The idea would need the approval of a Quaker meeting for Worship for Business - and we would have to be sure we could adapt the exhibition to suit the constraints of using a historic building whose walls and fabrics must be protected. We visited the meeting house with Leo and Larisa Walker, who have hung Louise's two previous solos shows at the Crypt, and we decided, supported by two Quaker friends, Jo and Alethea, who were also there, that we could create a more than good enough exhibition. We would use tables and display stands, whilst making full use of the limited hanging space - it was possible! Last Sunday, 5 March, formal approval was given at a Quaker meeting. 

COLOUR ME PURPLE AND QUAKER had found its home - and where better than our own Quaker meeting house. 


The Quaker meeting house in Marazion - late 17th century, recently refurbished


There are five full months between now and September - plenty of time to complete the four projects I have already started in this Colour Me Purple and Quaker series. I have already made ten pieces that deserve a place in this Quaker exhibition. Here are some tasters for you:


One of the pieces that attracted attention in the 2021 Crypt Gallery show was 'Sunlight Behind Bars' - this image shows my new version of this idea, pieced but not yet quilted - I have called it 'Purple Light Behind Bars - Quaker-Shaped'.

  


Maltese family friends gifted Rob and me a set of lacework as a wedding present in 1976 - now I am turning them into textile art. This piece is called 'Lace Moon in a Purple Sky'



   
All my textile art work in 2022 was inspired by my having found a spiritual home with the Marazion Quakers - somehow this became a purple period! Hence Colour Me Purple and Quaker. This piece I call 'Speaking Truth To Power Is Never Easy'.




 
.... and this piece has the title Speak Truth To Power In Sixteen Letters - there is an explanation why this abstraction warranted this name - 2 for two makes one, plus three times five makes fifteen; add it all up and turn upside down - God writes straight in crooked lines. 








This is another of last year's creations - 'Quaker Eye' - creative play, Quaker-shaped



I hope these five works of textile art will give you a feel for this September's exhibition. There are more being created and a few more from last year which will also be shown, as well as some from previous exhibitions that fit the bill. 

I was thrilled when J and T responded to my email bearing news of my Marazion exhibition in September by saying they would be coming to see the show. That means a journey of hundreds of miles from deepest England and an overnight stay. Thankyou!

Finally, I thought you might like to see the latest marketing move by my newly-appointed agent, Rob Donovan. I have never sold my work before so this is a bit of an experiment. Here is a link to the Etsy marketplace where I have a shop. If you know anyone who might be interested in any of these pieces, or any that might appear in the future, do please tell them about this Etsy marketplace - I can provide more details at louisegwdonovan@gmail.com, my new email address.

My Etsy shop is at:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

COLOUR ME PURPLE AND QUAKER - NOVEMBER 2022